Selling textbooks is a common practice of college students who want to earn money and get rid of their used textbooks. If you want to sell online, make sure to avoid the common mistakes that will mean less sales for you.
Nowadays, lots of websites are offering to buy books at higher rates sometimes than what your neighborhood bookstore pays. If you want to sell textbooks online, make sure to avoid these common mistakes that might mean lower prices for your books or worse, no payment for them:
- Leaving behind the supplemental materials – publishers are wise enough to include a lot of extras with books to justify their high prices. If you want to sell back your books for higher rate at the end of the semester, make sure you include everything that came along with your book. This way, the online bookstore can resell or rent out your book as a whole set, making everyone involved happy. Besides, what are you going to do with that CD or pamphlet anyway?
- Selling at dubious sites – just like if you are to buy online, you would want to look for reputable sellers in order to avoid being scammed. If an online bookstore offers you a ridiculously high price for your book and this is a site no one has ever heard of, then beware. Instead of making money from your books, you might just see your valuable investment gone in an instant.
- Selling books in bad condition – obviously, if your book is in horrible condition – meaning with stains, ripped pages and such – no one will ever want to buy it. There are some acceptable damages or writings on books – make sure you read the conditions set by the bookstore before you sell textbooks online. Otherwise, you are just wasting your and the bookstore’s time trying to sell a book they will never buy. Instead, you could’ve supported a charity and donated it instead.
- Not packing books properly- if your book is in great condition now and you pack it loosely to be shipped halfway across the country, then say goodbye to your book and your money. Remember that your book will be subject to mishandling along the way, and make sure that it survives the trip still in great condition so you can still receive the full price for it.
- Payment method – if you want to be paid online and instantly, don’t be stupid and get upset if there are deductions. There are transaction fees that accompany any online payment. Instead, opt to have the check mailed to you.
These are very simple things you need to avoid when you sell textbooks online, and in turn, you can then fully enjoy the money earned from your old textbooks.
Image by Enokson